Sticky Date Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup gluten free plain flour
1.5 tsp bi carb soda
1.5 cups pitted dates
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/8 cup rice malt syrup or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 free range eggs
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 cup rice malt syrup or honey or sugar
3 tablespoons butter (optional)
1/2 cup normal coconut cream
One large pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Add dates, bi carb soda and boiling water to a bowl and leave to sit for ten minutes.
3. Blend date mixture until the dates are roughly blended. Whisk date mixture together with remaining cake ingredients until the batter is smooth.
4. Line and grease a small cake tin and pour in cake mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until risen, and firm to touch.
5. Rest cake in tin for 20 minutes or until cool then invert onto serving plate.
6. To make caramel sauce, place rice malt syrup, butter and salt into a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Then add in coconut cream and turn down to a simmer. Cook for five to ten minutes or until slightly thickened and dark golden. Pour into serving jug.
7. Serve cake with warm caramel sauce.